This article teaches you how to convert a WMV (Windows Media Video) file into an MP4 video file. MP4 files are more universally playable than WMVs, so converting WMVs into MP4s is a logical choice if you want to be able to play your video on virtually any platform. You can use a free program called HandBrake to convert your video; if the video isn’t sensitive or private, you can also use an online service to convert it.
Download the HandBrake setup file. Go to https://handbrake.fr/ in your computer’s web browser and then click the red Download HandBrake button in the middle of the page. The setup file will download onto your computer.
- Depending on your browser’s settings, you may have to select a save location or confirm the download before proceeding.
- HandBrake is a free program for Windows and Mac computers.
Install HandBrake. Once the setup file finishes downloading, double-click the file and then do the following:
- Windows — Click Yes when prompted, then click Next, click I Agree, and click Install. You’ll click Finish to complete the setup.
- Mac — Drag Handbrake onto the Applications folder icon.
Open HandBrake. Click or double-click the HandBrake app icon, which resembles a pineapple next to a drink.
- On a Mac, you’ll find the HandBrake app icon in the Applications folder.
Click File. It’s in the pop-out menu on the left side of the HandBrake window. Clicking it prompts the File Explorer on Windows.
- Click Open Source in the top-left if this window doesn’t open automatically.
Click the “Format” drop-down box. You’ll find this option in the middle of the window. A drop-down menu will appear.
- If you don’t see this option, first click the Summary tab in the middle of the window.
Click Browse. You’ll find this option in the bottom-right corner of the HandBrake window. A “Save As” window will open.
- On a Mac, the Browse button is on the far-right side of the middle of the window.
Select a save location. Click the folder location in which you want to save the converted file on the left side of the window.
- On a Mac, you may first have to click the “Where” drop-down box and then select a save location in it.
Click Start Encode. This green button is at the top of the HandBrake window. Clicking it prompts HandBrake to begin converting your WMV file into an MP4 file; once the conversion is complete, the MP4 version will appear under your specified name in the file location you selected.
- On a Mac, you’ll just click Start here.
Wait for the converted file to begin downloading. Your WMV will be uploaded to the website and converted into an MP4 file, after which point it will begin downloading back onto your computer.
- Depending on your browser’s settings, you may have to select a save location or confirm the download before the file will download.